Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Welcome to the "New" Wildflower Golf Course Turfgrass Operations:

     My name is Aaron Johnson and I am now the golf course superintendent at Wildflower Golf Course.  I am new to this whole "Blogging" thing and I will try to update this site as much as we can during the year to let everyone who wants to know what were doing out on the course. 
     First, I would like to share with you a little background information about myself:
     I started my golf course maintenance career at Cuyuna County Club in Deerwood, Minnesota while in high school.  Working there three summers taught me that running and operating a golf course isn't just mowing an over sized lawn like I'm sure many people believe. The time commitment that it takes to successfully run an established golf course is no small task and it takes many devoted employees all sharing a common goal to make that operation a success.
     After high school, I enrolled in the architectural program at NDSU and soon found myself leaning toward the landscape architecture program.  I learned of the Sports and Urban Turfgrass Management program my sophomore year and changed my major promptly after learning of the Major.  While attending NDSU, I was the assistant superintendent for a newly designed golf course in south Fargo named Osgood Golf Course.  I worked there under Victor Heitkamp for seven years and learned a great deal of what it takes to become a golf course superintendent. 
     In 2011, my wife, my daughter and I moved to Page, Arizona where I was the assistant superintendent at Lake Powell National Golf Course.  My time there was spent honing my skills on irrigation repair and management of cool-season grasses in an arid southwest climate.  In July of 2012 I became the Golf Course Superintendent and applied the knowledge that Rex Saddoris, the former Golf Course Superintendent, had taught me. 
     On February 25th, 2013 I became the head golf course Superintendent of Wildflower Golf Course here in Detroit Lakes.  I, along with the management team here at Fair Hills and Five Lakes Resort, are very optimistic about the future of Wildflower Golf Course.  Moving forward, I believe that we can make Wildflower Golf Course a beautiful destination for many years to come.  I am looking forward to this year and anticipate a great summer maintaining and improving the golf course.
     Please feel free to comment and email me any questions that you may have.  I can be reached anytime on the golf course or in my office and at aaron@wildflowergolfcourse.com
  Here's to a great season after a long winter!!!
-Aaron   

No comments:

Post a Comment