Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Looking ahead

I feel as though I have not done my part in keeping this BLOG updated.  Considering that I am the sole author, I can see how I feel this way.  I wrote a post a few days ago, but before that, it was early in the spring as everything was coming out of dormancy.
     The thought of writing articles and updates for the loyal Wildflower members as well as anyone who will listen to me upon my soapbox gives me a great feeling; like I am doing some sort of a public service.  I know most of you may stumble upon this site looking for something else and just mindlessly read along, but it is my hope that you find something of relevance and something to take away with you to think about.



     We are nearing the end of the golf season of 2014, and I am very optimistic that 2015 will be the year that I entertain more questions, give feedback about course conditions, and overall interact with more of the membership and the golfing community.
      I truly am sorry that I do not know many of you members on a personal, first name basis.  I want to have time to chat about what's going on with the course as well as listen to any insight you all have and propose changes that we can implement to make Wildflower a challenging yet fun place to play.  My name recognition is about as good as my golf game, and if you take my assistants word for it, you'll understand that it takes me a few times to get everyone's name down.  I will try hard next season to be more of a face to my name, not just the guy who punches holes in the greens just when they were at their best!!
      With all this aside, I am asking for your help in deciding topics for the 2015 season's blogs.  I have quite a few things I would like to talk about, but I am aiming on ( weather permitting) on updating the blog at least monthly, if not bi-weekly to keep everyone up to date.
   Here is the beginning of a list that I have compiled to talk about this upcoming year.

  • Penncross vs. newer varieties of bent
  • Bunker renovation and the perfect bunker
  • Cart path renovation and addition
  • Irrigation renovation and addition
  • What's really in the fertilizer we use?
  • Why do we do soil moisture testing daily?
  • The Disease Triangle- I would like to spend some time on individual diseases like I have in the past to identify, diagnose and ultimately prevent outbreaks.
  • BMPs??? (Best management practices)
  • What goes into a sound agronomic plan
  • Constructing a SOP (Standard of operations) and implementing the SOP
  • Cultural practices of Bent vs Blue
  • Rules of GOLF
If there are (and I hope there are many more that you suggest) topics that you would like to talk about, please feel free to leave a comment or pick up one of my business cards in the pro shop!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment